Manufacturing Engineering deals with the study and application of Engineering Procedures in Manufacturing products and methods of production. They design and produce new products and parts for other industries. These products include anything from biomedical devices to computer chips. The best positions in this career are available in aerospace products and parts manufacturing, and those employed in computer and electronics product manufacturing enjoy the highest salaries.
What do Manufacturing Engineers do?
- Design and produce new products
- Research and select best processes and tools and technologies for manufacturing a product.
- Plan and Design the systems, plants and factory that will produce the product
- Design new systems, equipment and processes for the introduction of new products or for the improvement of existing ones
- identify faults, investigate production problems and repair equipment quickly and efficiently
- Oversee the running, management, maintenance and improvement of the factory.
How to become a Manufacturing Engineer
To become a manufacturing engineer you need a bachelor degree in engineering. It is not important to have only Manufacturing engineering degree, but you can also enter the industry through many other engineering degrees. The following engineering degree subjects are particularly relevant:
- Chemical engineering
- Electrical/Electronic engineering
- Manufacturing or Production engineering
- Mechanical engineering.
Although you don’t need a Masters degree, having a relevant Masters in engineering can enhance your prospects.
Manufacturing engineers are employed by almost every type of industry that has an end product. You can find opportunities in:
- Chemical Industry
- food and drink
- Oil refinery
- Plant and machinery manufacture
- Plastics and many more
Employers range from small local operations to large multinational organizations with plants and operations all over the world.
Scope of Manufacturing Engineering in Pakistan
Scope of Manufacturing Engineering is very good in Pakistan. Especially with the advent of industrialization, the need is on the rise. We live in an age of rapid innovation, complex technology and sustainability. Naturally, the job has become even more important, as all the industries require innovative products and efficient processes to develop products.
Related Fields of Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Engineering is a branch of Mechanical Engineering and has many related fields, so if you cannot get admission in this field or don’t find a university offering this program near you, the followings are good options for you
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Industrial Electronics Engineering
- Materials Engineering